GymPact stories: Anna from San Francisco
Anna and her fiancee after running this year’s Bay to Breakers
- Why did you start using GymPact?
I’ve had a gym membership for several years now, and found my attendance rate always existed in fits and bursts - I would go three times a week for two weeks in a row, then would slack off for two weeks, and so on. I needed more basic incentive to just get my butt to the gym on a regular basis, which GymPact provided.
- How has it been working for you so far?
Extremely well. There have been only two separate weeks wherein I didn’t meet my pact, which I half blame on a recent tendinitis injury and half on my inability to deal properly with said injury. I’ve since learned my lesson and found a steady rhythm in active recovery. And regular gym attendance with GymPact played a huge part in successfully completing my first half-marathon back in June.
- What is your favorite fitness tip?
I’m not sure if this counts as a tip, but: there’s always time to work out and be active. It’s easy to say “I don’t have time,” but I said that for too long before I realized that I could fit in most of my workouts over my lunch hour, and sometimes before work if necessary (I have a fairly long commute, so that takes extra motivation!). Even a half-hour workout a few times a week makes a huge difference. And now that GymPact is partnering with RunKeeper, it’s even easier to fit in workouts!
- Is there anything specific you are waiting to spend your earnings on?
I’ll be donating my earnings to Planned Parenthood once I reach $100.
- What one piece of advice would you give to other GymPacters to stay motivated? When working out, do something you enjoy, and don’t be afraid to try new things. I never thought of myself as a runner or a swimmer, and now I’m in love with both. You’ll sleep better, be more energetic, look/feel strong and healthy. Start slow, listen to your body, remember to stretch, and as Dori says, “just keep swimming.”
Want to share your GymPact story? Shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.